In areas of Lamu County, Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has issued a twilight to morning curfew.
The 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew will go into effect immediately, according to a statement issued by the Interior Secretary on Wednesday, January 5.
The decision comes in response to an uptick in criminal acts in the area, which have resulted in property devastation and deaths.
“The National Security Council (NSC) has proclaimed the following portions of Lamu County as Disturbed Areas in accordance with Section 106 (1) of the National Police Service Act, 2011,” read part of the statement.
“The localities of Majembeni, Ndamwe, Mkunumbi, Pandanguo, Witu, Hamasi, and Binde Warinde.”
The 12-hour ban will also apply to Bomani, Pongwe, Mpeketoni, Bahari, Mapenya, and Hindi places.
The NSC also ordered the urgent deployment of a multi-agency team to clear the impacted areas of illicit guns and activities.
Residents in the troubled areas have also been requested to work with law enforcement and offer information about suspicious people and activities.
Two civilians were kidnapped by alleged Al Shabaab militia members in the Kibokoni Hindi area on Wednesday. The attack occurred only a week after a previous attack in Widho claimed the lives of six individuals.
The attack was tied to an ongoing land dispute between squatters and ranch owners in the region, according to Coast Regional Commissioner John Elungata, who spoke to the media on January 3.
Elungata reassured residents that they would be secure, stressing that officers had been dispatched to find the culprits of the heinous act.
- DJ VINCEY SWAHILI | TANZANIA AMAPIANO MIX 2023 | BONGO MIX 2023 DIAMOND, JUX, HARMONIZE, ALIKIBA, MARIOO, MBOSSO, CHINO KIDD
- Why Fair Crash is the best Burst game in Kenya 2023 to Make You Real Money. (Download Fair Crash App)
- DJ VINCEY AMAPIANO LIVE MIX (2023) AT CLUB THE BREEZE LIKONI
- VIDEO: Best Of Prince Indah Puonj Mar Dak Album Mix 2023 (DJ Vincey Live Mix) Download
- Download Pesa Crash Latest Android app (apk 2023)